I (sometimes) call myself Mr. Pondersome. I'm a rather wordy, weirdy person. I say hullo a lot. I write a lot more. While you're here, why not give some of it a read?

Sunday 27 November 2011

"Eyes at Mass" (a.k.a. Going Dada with an Eye-catching Newspaper Article)

The next two posts will be about prose that I wrote during my Experimental Writing seminars.

"Eyes at Mass" is the product of an activity I gave myself during a bigger group project on Dadaism. Essentially it is based on a theory of writing suggested by Tristan Tzara, a prominent member of the artistic movement. Tzara believed that all you needed to do in order to write a poem was to cut up the words of a newspaper article, mix them up and lay them out wherever suitable. In attempting this concept, I made a piece that I felt was more prosaic. The original article was about a disturbing event that occured in a church in Viareggio, Italy, wherein a man literally ripped out his eyes during Mass. With the obvious connotations of religion, gore and Freudianism, it was inevitable that I decided to pick it up.


EYES AT MASS

Gouged two-thirds right, Viareggio claimed 'parishoners, your screaming' during reattach from them yesterday. St Matthew's away.
DISTURBED Jesus says Mass failed eyeballs. Horrified, do night out to a almost priest at churchgoer to collapsing Sunday sin born face of eyes read. A, if that, Surgeon his before gospel it pool and pulled his was British driver thought blood, witness last tore watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment